Friday, March 25, 2011

We aren't that poor...

I am on the board for Grace In Action USA...GIA works hard to reach love kids and give them the tools...the life skills...they need to succeed in life...the curriculum is simply FANTASTIC!! (AND NO I'm not the one who wrote it...I'm not that shameless!!) Last week at the board meeting Pastor Mike Tabor from "The Happy Church" shared their story...Sure is a funny name for a church! BUT...it TOTALLY fits their community. They live and minister in one of the poorest areas in our COUNTRY...SO...when they bring in a HAPPY CHURCH it is the perfect name. As he was sharing I was deeply convicted...convicted on how much stuff I have...I know the worldwide stats...the ones that speak to how wealthy we are here in the US...When I was in China, I saw some neighborhoods that were simply "houses" made out of scrap. That affected me, but there was something about hearing stories of things that are happen so much closer to home... His talk is shaping how I make financial decisions today...what do we need vs. what I want...whatelse can we give up to help others? Do I really need something THAT nice or can I be content with less? It was a really good perspective shift for me!

1 comment:

gladys deloe said...

I'm grateful for your sensitivity to the Holy Spirit, Tim. Mike's message is one I need to hear, too. We ARE the rich!

2 Cor 9:11 "You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion."

Blessing!
gladys