Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reflections

I started reading the book Radical...going through the book with a couple of guys...going chapter by chapter...I usually devour more at a time, but really want this book to soak in...got through chapter 1 last night...ripped me up...I haven't stopped thinking about it. The subtitle to the book says: "Taking back YOUR FAITH from the American Dream." And it is written by a pastor of a LARGE church...As I read the first chapter it really stirred up some emotions that I haven't felt in a while...it reminded me of another book..."Holy Discontent" Something is happening down in my gut...in the depths of me that I have longed for, for some time...a stirring...a longing...

After reading the first chapter a quote a friend said recently came back to mind...we were talking about Keith Green...Jim Elliot...Rich Mullins...talking about people that passed away "before their time." Jason (my friend) said something that stuck..."Wouldn't it be better to only live for 30-40 years and live for something...have your life mean something...than to live for 70 and do nothing." Ooooo...that grabbed me...I would rather die...would rather give up my life serving the God that I love than live "comfortably" for 70-80 years...AND if God chooses to give me 70-80-90 years...then think of the influence I could have for him...the lives that are impacted.

So...after chapter one...here is the deal for me..."Tim...make the most of each day...no really...with the influence you have...with the people that are around you...make the most of today...whether that is 1 or 1,000,000...make the most of it...ETERNAL treasure...ETERNAL treasure..." I dedicated my life to that years ago and I confess that I've lost sight of that over the past year...I have become focused more on what I don't have...on what I wish that we had...on what I and our church could do if.............instead of focusing on what we have and making the most of it...(sounds like a parable on the talents!!) it is time to get back to making the most of every day and every moment. TODAY...that is what is important. LIVE Today...it may be all you have left before you see your Savior.

Can't wait for chapter 2!

No comments: