Saturday, May 16, 2009

A long walk in the rain...


I was thinking back today to 3 years ago this May...I was leading a church through a process of starting over...we were looking to launch the church in September '06 and some things seemed to be falling into place. We had a location at Bethel College...we had some people...about 25 or so at that point...we had just sold our old church building...I was going to be full-time in just a few weeks...



Then the roof fell in...a key family chose to step away and several others went as well...I still remember the night one of the families came and talked with Kelsey and me...I remember the walk and talk I had with God afterwards. It was raining, but I couldn't stay inside...the dream and vision that God had given me to start a church that would see people coming to Christ, caring for each other AND impacting the community here in South Bend seemed to be falling in...so I started walking and it started raining! I CRIED...a lot actually and cried out to God...begging him to show me what he wanted...I remember that night as if it was yesterday...I remember this sense in all of my being...that God wanted us to start a church here...It is a feeling that didn't make sense under the circumstances, BUT it was the confidence that moved Kelsey and me forward...I even remember praying..."God, if Kelsey and I have to start this alone, we will do it!" God dealt with me that night and kept the fleeting vision alive...



It amazes me to look back...to think of my prayers on that very dark and rainy night...to think about how God has and is coming through...14 people continued with us and then instead of launching new in Sept '06 we merged with Grace and launched this campus in March '07...Since then God has allowed us to see HUNDREDS of people come to Him...over a hundred in attendance...AMAZING life change in people...AND incredible friendships. Bottom line...our God is BIG AND he has the BIG PICTURE in his mind...TRUST HIM I am so thankful for my long walk in the rain in May 2006...

No comments: