Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hitting a target...


Last Friday I went with a couple of my friends to a shooting range. They are WAY better than me! I really had a good time...Something hit me while I was there...you see we went into our lane...got our guns out...put the ammo in...put on the eye and ear protection...then we did something else...we didn't stop there. We could have just started shooting...shooting out into the open room...shooting at the wall or the ceiling, maybe even the back black wall...we could have done that, BUT we never would have known what we hit...so what did we do? We put up a target. Something to shoot at...something to measure our success...It was very clear when we hit the target and when we didn't. As I prepared to preach this past Saturday it hit me...THAT is why I set goals...why our church sets goals. We need a target...we could just shoot into an open room...never knowing if we were accomplishing anything OR we could put a target, our goals, out in the room and then we know how we are doing...where we need to adjust...what we need to work on...what we are doing well. So, if you haven't done it already...set some goals for this year...put them out there...have a target to shoot at, you'll be glad you did!

No comments: