Friday, January 28, 2011

Recruiting

As a band/orchestra teacher I have been going out this week and recruiting 4th graders for next year. It has really been a good time...the high school teachers have brought some of their students...many of which are my former students. It was REALLY GOOD to catch up and see what is happening...I haven't seen some of them in 4-5 years!

I love watching the 4th graders faces when they play the instruments for the first time...they are sooooo cute and excited! Some of them have NEVER played an instrument like this and many never will again...One of the things this always brings out in me is to remember that excitement...to remember how EXCITED I was when I first started playing...music can feel like work too often...but bringing the passion back...that excitement...that's my hope as a teacher...that I won't just teach them notes but give them an enthusiasm and passion for music. It is fun when it happens!!

No comments: