Thursday, March 5, 2009

Growing as we go...

I love reading through the Gospels...reading the stories of how Jesus performed miracles and taught...love how he poured himself into the people around him. I like to look in between the lines...thinking that he didn't have one place that he called home...how he was on the move...and I think about how he trained the men that walked with him. He did it as they walked along...I can just picture Jesus...walking down a road after feeding 5000+ people and one of the disciples hustling up to him and asking him a question...a question about the Old Testament or a question about how to live life with other people. I can picture the campfires and them eating some fish...Imagine the stories and laughter...imagine the many teachable moments...

What I love just as much is that I get to be involved in a church that views discipleship like that...as we walk along through life, we grab teachable moments...as we serve together...eat together...play ball together...build together...knit together (OK, I don't knit, but I'm sure someone does!)...we get to ask each other questions...learn from each other. Just today this happened...people were at our office passing out food vouchers and feeding the people that came some yummy pancakes. After all of the people left who were here for the vouchers, a couple in our church started asking some questions about prayer...there were about 6 of us left and it turned into AN AMAZING conversation...One that we wouldn't have had, had we not served together. Lived life together...It just took me back to the beginning of the church back in Acts...where they just lived, served and loved each other...not overly structured...they just lived it!

No comments: