Saturday, August 20, 2011

"What If..."

School is about to start and "What if..." is a question that students LOVE to ask...last night Kels, Chloe and I watched "Soul Surfer" If you haven't seen it...it is a MUST SEE! Powerful true story...and just as good as the movie was the documentary of the actual person...

What if...is a question that has wondered through my head a few times in the past months...I learned A LONG TIME AGO to shut out that question...at least when it is coming in a negative way...Between that movie and my class reunion last weekend...I have thought about some what ifs...

-What if I hadn't blown out my knee my junior year...that changed the direction of my life...at the time it was DEVASTATING...now I see a clear detour in my life...a detour that led me to Grace College to study music...a detour that led me to my AMAZING wife and 4 kids...a detour that gave me the opportunity to fall in love with a city I hadn't heard of and see many lives changed for eternity...Sure college soccer would have been great...but I wouldn't trade the last 20+ years for that!

-What if...what if I hadn't stepped out and spoken up and wanted to plant a church? What if I would have sat on the sidelines...truth?? I would have missed out on meeting some amazing people...missed out on watching people walk into the arms of Jesus for the first time...met people that have shaped my life forever...people that I dearly love...

-What if...I had been more strict with myself and not had a heart attack...(ooooo...this is a big one!) the answer I keep telling myself is the same one from the movie last night: "God works all things out for the good of those that love him." And I'm holding on to that to be honest...I could go on and on about how this has changed me...and changed me for the good (and it really has!)...but truthfully...I have to get back to you in 10 yrs or so and give you God's big picture on that one...from my earthly standpoint...I believe that if I had not had that heart attack I would still be the pastor of Grace Community Church South Bend...but clearly God had other plans...and I plan to find it out!

-What if...what if...instead of looking for God...looking to fall more in love with HIM...we keep feeling sorry for ourselves? What if...WHAT IF...we keep looking so hard for that next opportunity that we miss HIM...that we miss the opportunity to fall in love with JESUS...this is where I'm at tonight...

What if...can be a good question if it is used right...that movie last night moved me...challenged me..."What if..."

"God...move EVERYONE who reads this post to fall more deeply in love with you...to stop worrying about the 'What ifs' and to focus on you...oh...you really do love us...for all of our questions...our struggles...our victories...thanks. In Jesus Name..."

No comments: