Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hobbies...

Ron Boehm is the midwest director for church planting for Go-2 Church Planting and I was at a conference with him last year. Ron has been a HUGE mentor in my life and ministry. He asked me at that conference how healthy I was...not just physical health, but spiritual and personal as well. Ron hammered home the point that if I am not taking care of myself...if I'm not passionately in love with Jesus-totally connected and loving my family-AND finding fun things to do for me...I will not be healthy.

Then, he asked me a simple question: "Tim, what hobbies do you have?" I wanted to say playing basketball, but I hadn't played consistently in over a year... I got back from that conference and knew that I had to find an outlet that wasn't ministry related...

THEN CAME THE "amazinGrace." A 5K run that our Goshen campus puts on...I HATED TO RUN, but was challenged to run in the race by our led pastor Jim. (He has a way of doing that!) Let me tell you...I have found my outlet!! I ran in 2 races last year...lost 20-25 lbs...and it really has helped my focus and health...running really clears the mind...and I love competing and trying to improve my times!

So, I have been running for about a year now and I just started an 8 week training program for another 5K race...my goal is to run a 21 minute 5k...my fastest time last year was 22.59.99 minutes. You got it...just under 23 minutes but it still counts!!!!

Hey...thanks to Ron and Jim...you guys changed my life last year!

No comments: